Buy Good Food Local Seasonal
Find Pick-you-own farms on the Local Harvest Map. Zoom in or radius filter to find Pick-you-own farms close to you.
Pick-your-own fruit and veg is back in fashion. What better way to eat in the summer, than straight from the punnet in a field of berries. These farms support local growers and offer a fun way to get better quality fruit and vegetables at a better price in a way that is fun for the whole family!
The best resource around is PickYourOwn.org It has locations and rules of open farms, but also other great information including harvesting and preservation methods, general ripening dates for fruits and vegetables in Australia and a calendar with harvest dates for Australia (tells when crops are available). Included are:
- General picking tips and a guide to each fruit and vegetable
- Yields – how much raw makes how much cooked or frozen
- Selecting the right varieties to pick
- All about apple varieties – which to pick and why!
- ‘How to make’ jam, apples sauce, apple butter recipes
- Canning and Freezing FAQ
- Free publications to download and print
This article references PickYourOwn.org.